Nobody can become a good suspense writer overnight. You need to go through a series of trial and error method, to achieve the master piece you desired from long. It needs a great deal of understanding and research. A thorough understanding of the subject as well as the intricacies of the story, are required in spinning up a plot.
Writing a suspense novel is not a child's play. There are a lot of ingredients which you need to bring together to cook up a great suspense story. These are the elements of fear, mystery, crime, unpredictable twists, secluded settings, a victim and a villain. Here are a few tips you can work upon to write your own suspect novel.
- Playing rapid fire with your mind is a great idea. Question yourself randomly about the plot, the setting, the characters, and the mystery to be solved. You need to ask yourself, why, how, when and where according to the story of the novel.
- Characterization is the next most important thing for you to do. Give life to your characters. Differentiate between the good and the bad. Make sure that readers can judge for themselves who is good and who is evil.
- Pay attention to the suspence in the plot. Give a valid reason for the suspence. It may be a murder, a robbery, a supernatural twist, etc. whatever it is make sure it is convincing to the readers.
- Put yourself in the shoes of your character and think how would you react if you were in their place, this way you can get an exact portrayal of the human reactions in different situations.
- Bring in various unpredictable twists and turns in your plot. This will throw the readers off-guard. They will be dying to know what happens at the end.
- The most important point in writing a suspence story is the climax. Letting the cat out of the bag at the perfect time is the catch.
Once you have achieved perfection in following these tips, you can be rest assured that your novel will sell like hot cakes. For details refer book guide.